The advisors within the Office of Student Success at CAHS are excited to be working with you to develop your academic plan throughout your years at WVU. Check out tips for advising and other important information regarding the advising process below.
Our advisors are here for you
We are passionate about student success and here to help you along your academic journey. We are happy to meet in person, online, or via phone call. Reach out to your advisor to schedule an appointment, click below, or email CAHSinfo@mail.wvu.edu for assistance.
You must meet with your academic advisor prior to registering for classes. This is a chance to check-in on your degree progress, discuss minors, internships, classes, etc. After this appointment, you will be ready to follow these steps to register for your courses online on your registration day.
Your specific registration day is dependent on your classification (freshman, sophomore, etc.) and your time will be randomly assigned and emailed to you. It can also be found at the top of your DegreeWorks page. The link below lists registration dates for the upcoming semester.View registration dates
Expectations of students during advising
- Schedule and attend at least one advising appointment prior to mid-semester
- Come to appointments prepared with a tentative course schedule, questions and/or topics to discuss
- Investigate and utilize the options within DegreeWorks
- Check your MIX e-mail regularly as this will be a primary means of contact
- Accept responsibility for your decisions and actions
- Keep a record of your academic progress and goals
- Research college programs, university policies, procedures and opportunities as appropriate
Expectations of advisors during advising
- Maintain confidentiality according to established standards (FERPA)
- Be accessible for their assigned students
- Provide a respectful, supportive atmosphere
- Listen carefully and respect students’ questions, concerns and problems
- Refer students to appropriate resources as needed
- Assist students in clarifying their educational and career goals
- Guide students toward satisfactory academic progress
- Assist students in making academic decisions consistent with the students’ interests, abilities, and goals
You will use WVU Portal to access STAR, DegreeWorks and eCampus — all important online programs. Through the Portal, you can send and receive email, pay the academic deposit, pay tuition and fees and check your grades.
You can use STAR to grant a parent or guardian access to view your records and make payments.
Check your WVU email regularly.