Sean Bulger, EdD
Associate Dean for Online Education and Technology
- Received the 2016 Ray O. Duncan Award from the state HPERD association for outstanding service and leadership.
- Co-authored more than 70 books, chapters, and journal articles on physical activity promotion and best teaching practices.
- Collaborated on over $6 million in external funding to support physical activity in school, community, and family settings.
- Delivered over 130 presentations at state, regional, and national conferences/conventions.
- Ed.D., Physical Education Teacher Education, West Virginia University
- M.Ed., Secondary Education/Athletic Administration, North Dakota State University
- B.S., Physical Education, The Canisius College of Buffalo
- Dana Brooks Mentor Award, WV Association for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance. Presented for outstanding mentorship in the field association’s.
- Ray O. Duncan Award, WV Association for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance. Presented for outstanding service to the state of West Virginia and representative of the association’s highest honor.
- Scholar Award, WV Association for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance Award. Presented for outstanding scholarly work, presentations and active service to the areas of health, physical education, recreation and dance.
Areas of Expertise
- Online Education Leadership and Administration
- Online Course Design and Delivery
- Online Learner Success and Support
- Comprehensive school physical activity programs
- Professional issues in higher education
- Scholarship of teaching and learning
- Capstone courses and senior year experience
- Certified as Physical Best Health-Fitness Instructor, National Association for Sport and Physical Education, 2009
- Certified as Physical Best Health-Fitness Specialist National Association for Sport and Physical Education, 2009
- Certified Strength & Conditioning Specialist (CSCS), National Strength and Conditioning Association, 1993
Committees and Memberships
- National Association for Kinesiology and Physical Education in Higher Education (NAKPEHE)
- Society of Health and Physical Educators (SHAPE America)
- University Professional and Continuing Education Association (UPCEA)
- West Virginia Association for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance, (WVAHPERD)
Dr. Sean M. Bulger is currently serving as the Associate Dean of Online Education within the College of Applied Human Sciences. In this pivotal role, he assumes responsibility for overseeing the administration of the College's comprehensive online degree offerings. Dr. Bulger's distinguished career path has been marked by dynamic leadership positions, where he has spearheaded college-wide strategic initiatives in marketing and communication, graduate academic affairs, enrollment management, and student success.
Before joining the esteemed faculty at West Virginia University (WVU) in 2005, Dr. Bulger excelled as the coordinator of the Human Performance Program within the Department of Kinesiology at the University of Wisconsin Eau-Claire. With over three decades of practical experience, his expertise extends across diverse physical activity settings, encompassing school, community, and family-based programs. His passion lies in the realm of research and teaching, with a strong focus on children's physical activity and health-related fitness, school physical activity, and the nuanced professional challenges within higher education.
Dr. Bulger's scholarly pursuits are evident through his impressive body of work, which comprises over 70 journal articles, chapters, and books, as well as a substantial track record of more than 130 presentations at state, regional, national, and international conferences. He remains unwavering in his commitment to the land-grant university mission, striving to harmoniously integrate his teaching, research, and service activities. Notably, Dr. Bulger's contributions to both the state of West Virginia and his profession have been recognized through multiple prestigious awards and statewide acknowledgments.
Dr. Bulger earned his Bachelor of Science degree in Physical Education from Canisius College of Buffalo in 1992, followed by a Master of Education from North Dakota State University in 1997. He culminated his academic journey with an Ed.D. from WVU in 2004, with a specialized focus on physical education and a cognate in applied exercise science. Dr. Bulger's commitment to continuous growth is evident in his participation in higher education leadership training programs conducted by the American Council on Exercise (ACE) and the University Professional and Continuing Education Association (UPCEA).