Gonzalo Bravo, PhD
- University of Pittsburgh, Visiting Scholar, Center for Latin American Studies. 2014-2017
- Federal University of Parana, Curitiba, Brazil. Visiting Scholar, Research Center for Sport, Leisure, and Society. 2016
- American Kinesiology Association, (AKA). Leadership Institute Fellow’ Class 2020.
- American Kinesiology Association, (AKA), Board of Directors 2022-2025
- Outstanding Long-Form Scholarship, WVU Office of the Provost, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2023
- PhD, Sport Management, The Ohio State University
- MS, Sport Administration, Penn State University
- BS, Physical Education and Sports Studies, Universidad Metropolitana de Ciencias de la Educacion
- Best Paper Award. XII Ibero-American Conference of Sport Management and Economics. Toledo, Spain, 2022
- Honorable Mention, 2017 Journal of Global Sport Management Best Paper Award, November 2017
- Outstanding Long-Form Scholarship, Office of the Provost, WVU, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2023
- Outstanding Service Award, CPASS, WVU, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2020, 2021
- Outstanding Research Award, CPASS, WVU 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021
- Outstanding Teaching Award, CPASS, WVU, 2019
- Researcher of the Year Award, CPASS, WVU, 2012
Areas of Expertise
- Stakeholders and Sport Mega Events
- Sport Policy Latin American Countries
- International Sport Management
- Trust, Commitment and Organizational Justice in Sport
- Psychological contract in HRM in Sport
- Corruption in Sport
- Organizational theory as applied to sport (organizational dynamics and organizational behavior)
- Policy and governance of sport
- Socio-cultural aspects of sport
- Ethical dimensions of sport
Committees and Memberships
- Publications Committee, American Kinesiology Association, 2020-2023
- Editorial Board, International Journal of Sport Policy & Politics, 2017 - Present
- Editorial Board and Associate Editor Human Resource Management, Journal of Global Sport Management, 2016 - Present
- Editorial Board, Latin American Journal of Sport Management, 2017- Present
- Chair, International Advisory Committee, CPASS, WVU, 2017-2019
- Faculty Senator, CPASS, WVU, 2017 to 2022.
- Chair, Promotion and Tenure Committee, School of Sport Sciences, CAHS, 2022-2023
Gonzalo A. Bravo is a Professor of Sport Management in the School of Sport Sciences in the College of Applied Human Sciences at West Virginia University where he teaches undergraduate and graduate courses in sport management. Bravo completed a master’s degree in Sport Administration at Penn State University and a Ph.D. in Sport Management at The Ohio State University.
His research examines organizational behavior and HRM in sport, policy and governance of sport, and sport in Latin America. As of 2023, Bravo has 53 publications, including peer-reviewed articles and book chapters. He has published five books and is the author of three technical reports commissioned by different sport and research agencies around the world. Bravo has given a total of 115 presentations at sport management and sport sociology conferences. He has been invited to present at universities and sport organizations in the United States, Canada, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Mexico, Venezuela, Spain, Zimbabwe, China, Japan, Macao, Korea, and Portugal.
Currently, Bravo serves on the Board of Directors of the American Kinesiology Association. Prior to working in academia, he worked as the Sport Director at Fundación Club Deportivo Universidad Católica in Chile.