Allison Swan Dagen, Ph.D.
- Co-Editor, Best Practices of Literacy Leaders: Keys to School Improvement, 2020
- Lead Writer, International Literacy Association Standards 2017
- WVU Provost's Academic Fellow, 2018-2021
- WVU Assistant Provost for Graduate Academic Affairs 2021-2023
- PhD, Instruction and Learning/Reading, University of Pittsburgh
- MEd, Reading Education, Bloomsburg University
- Certified Reading Specialist (K-adult) and Elementary Education (K-8)
- WVU Mary Catherine Buswell Award Recipient, 2022
- ILA Leaders Inspiring Readers Recipient, 2022
- CEHS Laddie Bell Outstanding Service Award Recipient, 2018
- Provost's Academic Fellow, 2018-2021
Areas of Expertise
- Reading Specialists
- Emergent Literacy
- Literacy Leadership
- Roles and responsibilities of the Reading Specialist
- Literacy Coaching
- Effective professional development for literacy educators
- Emergent literacy practices
- Reading Specialist
- Elementary Education (K-8)
Dr. Allison Swan Dagen received her doctorate in Instruction and Learning/Reading from the University of Pittsburgh and her MEd in Reading Education from Bloomsburg University. She is certified in Elementary Education (K-8) and as a Reading Specialist (K-adult). Dr. Swan Dagen is a former middle school reading and math teacher from Pleasant Valley School District in Broadheadsville, Pennsylvania.
Her research interests include effective professional learning opportunities for literacy educators, Reading Specialist preparation, roles of the specialized literacy professional, and emergent literacy practices. As a faculty member and coordinator of WVU’s Masters in Literacy Education program, she teaches the following graduate courses: Foundations of Literacy, Literacy Leadership, Specialized Literacy Professionals and Literacy and the Young Child.